Sunday, June 04, 2006

Tokyo

Went to Tokyo. Enjoyed it. Stayed in a nice little hotel in a Japanese style room. Slept on a tatami floor. Don`t have any tatami in my apartment, so I`m glad I got to see the stuff again. I love it (it`s a flooring made of woven straw or reeds or something. very aromatic). Stayed near the majorly touristy Sensoji Shrine in Asakusa (remember it, Stacey?). Nice place to walk around. Just spent my time walking and looking with my sister. Saw a Louis Vitton store in Harajuku! Never been so close to luxury before. Didn`t go in. I`m neither that rich nor that interested. The high light actually was meeting a friend of mine before my sister arrived. Haven`t seen this friend in 7 years. She took me to the Edo-Tokyo Museum, which traces Tokyo`s history back 500 years (to when it was called Edo). I LOVED it. Diana`s friend showed us around by car. Thought that would be interesting, but it turns out Tokyo`s just a place like any else, lots of concrete and shabby buildings, and all the interesting places look the same on foot or from a car window. I think I`ve just done enought touristy things in Japan that nothing is really novel any more. Maybe that`s normal, but Japan is the only travel experience I really have, and I`m used to the feeling of high adventure I used to associate with it. But I guess that was a feeling more attached to circumstance than location, `cause I can`t seem to find it now. Too bad. Adventure is fun.

Fortunately, I actually like Japan and Japanese people, so even if the sense of high adventure is gone, I`ll enjoy being here. I guess I`ll just focus more on catching up with old friends than site seeing.

One more hi-lite. In our wandering, my sister and I came across this little store full of beautiful boxes with silk designs worked into them. The were expensive, but so beautiful I had to buy myself a little one. I`d buy a lot more if I could. Anyway, you can see it when I get home.

atto de ne

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are enjoying your time in Japan...I had to catch up on your other entries..I understand what you mean about "life being life" whereever you are...it is not alway exotic here in Korea (actually almost never) - though the occasional "forigner sighting" is fun :) - they are the American/European looking people who are not connected to our school in anyway that we sometimes catch a glimpse of here in Taejon...I will leave off with saying I miss you and I am sad I won't get to see you this summer.

Erica said...

How's the food?

Anonymous said...

let's see...I am glad you are getting on well. I would not do well walking along with bats. I have a strange picture of what it looks like where you are, and now it is almost a Mary Poppins-y picture of you and your bats and your bike and your umbrella and just a spoonful of sugar. It will be good to see pictures and set it all straight. How old are you now? I didn't send you or my father a birthday card; that seemed a bit mean following the big todo we had for mom this year...I didn't mean to be mean. And a very belated Happy Birthday to you! Tomorrow is the beginning of Bath & Body's semi-annual sale here. Do you want anything in particular? Do you have that store there in Tokyo? There are some new scents: cherry blossom, magnolia, etc. I forget what you like. Tonight I am doing laundry, etc. Tomorrow I am determined to work diligently in our home office (well, after i get back from the mall) for Sheldon. Ahem. I joined a gym again. Hohum. Oregon is beautiful now. We've been eating fresh strawberries out of our "garden" the last week. They are beautiful and sweet; the kind that sing loud praises. I will pray for you, and then i am off to bed.

Cheryl said...

They have the body shop here. I haven`t seen bath and body. I wish I was Mary Poppins, then I could really have some fun!
You don`t have to buy me anything, but if you insist, I love vanilla, and cherry blossom sounds very Japanese! appropriate, no?


The food is the same as it ever was, but somehow I`ve lost my taste for it. I don`t dislike it, but I remember it as being more yummy. I even went for yakitori (grilled chicken) in Tokyo. It is one of the yummiest things. But I thought it was only OK. The Brazilian bbq is the best thing I`ve had. Maybe I should go to Brazil.