Friday, May 19, 2006

The Other Side of It

After my last blog, I thought I can't just present the bizarre or annoying aspects of this place. That would be to misrepresent. All in all, it's a great place, for so many reasons.

One being, taxi drivers who wear white gloves and keep their cabs immaculate. Comfortable and safe. At least, it feels safe.

I know my watch is fast because every train I've gotten on lately has been a minute or two late. Back home, if that happened I'd assume the problem was with the public transport. Here, I know my watch is wrong. Reliable public transport is such a wonderful (and novel) thing.

There are escalators that only move when someone is actually on them. Such an energy saver! These guys are really committed to the Kyoto accord. We could learn from them.

Amazing green vegetation. The humidity may be uncomfortable, but it makes for a lot of beauty.

Bank machines that print a perfectly neat line in your bank book, even if it slips and goes in crooked. Drink machines that never keep your change or rip you off at all. Machines in general that seem to be better than ours. If the technology is available, and we're such a rich country, why don't we have it?

I am absolutely in love with the nature in this country. It captivates me, when I can find it.

The history and all of the relics still around to represent it is amazing.

Internet cafes that are cheaper than any I've seen back home, and serve all-you-can-drink free drinks. But no alcohol (no where is perfect)

Well, that's a start. I'm sure I'll think of more.

No comments: