Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Little Price Comparing

Last time I was in Japan, everything seemed so expensive. When I did calculations in my head to price compare, I added 30-40% because of where the Canadian dollar was at. Now the difference is only about 10%, so I actually don`t bother to calculate exchange. And some things really aren`t so horribly expensive at current exchange rates. My apartment is expensive ($800), considering it`s only a bachelor pad. But my sister is paying the same as me for a place with 3 bedrooms. I don`t know if that includes utilities, but it`s a nice place and if it were in Fort Garry place or some other nice Winnipeg location you could probably expect to pay $700 for it. So, it`s not that over priced, I think. I was talking to a guy who lived in Sendai, way up north, for a while. He said he could get a room for $250. It was nothing special, but you can`t get much more than a room for that in Winnipeg. So if you know where to look, I guess you can find affordable living here.

Coke prices can vary between vending machines, but you can get 300ml for about $1.20 and 500ml for $1.50

Parking in one lot I saw in Tokyo was $2 for 15min from 8am to 10pm and $1 an hour overnight. Don`t buy a car if you plan to live in Tokyo. Gas went up to $1.35/l this week, a 15 year high for Japan. What bugs me is 7 years ago the Japanese were paying twice as much as us for gas. Now we`re only a few cents behind.

So that`s a little bit about prices for those who are curious. Overall Japan is probably still more expensive, but it ain`t as bad it was. (Good time to visit)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're blogging regularly! good job, cheryl.
next week brad and jack and i are going to bc for a week. so we'll be nice and close to you. i can look out over the pond and see you on the other side, waving to me. then i'll moon you.

Anonymous said...

ok, so i don't really like doing this, but since you've flown off to Japan and all i thot i would tell you i am praying for you...i almost got out of a committee meeting the other day thanks to you. i said i can't come b/c my friend Cheryl leaves for Japan that day. I had that on my calender. there was a pause and someone said well do you have to take her to the airport and if i could have NOT laughed i might have pulled it off but needless to say i ended up attending the meeting. I am glad you are settling in. My friend in Siberia e-mailed this morning and said when she's feeling lonely she goes to the throne before the phone as in the throne of God! that way she finds the Lord her first love fulfilling her first and then her times with friends are even more meaningful. the weather here is absolutely beautiful. If i didn't have so much indoor work to do i would be outside...later maybe. Being responsible does have dull moments. Well, nothing else comes to mind right now. i don't even know how this works or if you will get this message, but if you do I miss you and wish you so many showers of blessings...sp

Cheryl said...

Josy, you're a nut. I'll be watching for that moon.

Nice to hear from you, Susan. Your friend is absolutely right about how to deal with loneliness. I just need to remember to do it daily.

Have great day.