Wednesday, July 19, 2006

See You Later

How can you love and hate a place at the same time? I`m doing it, and I don`t even know how it works. Today is my last full day in Japan, for a while. Tomorrow I get on the plane. I am both relieved and sad. Part of me doesn`t want to go, the other part has been looking forward to tomorrow for 11 weeks (one less than I`ve been here). I guess it`s not so much that I want to stay in Japan as getting back to it is so hard. I wish it were close enough that I could visit every weekend.

Anyway, my second visit to Fukushima was like old times, visiting a couple of the teachers I worked with and who took care of me last time I was here. Mr. Yoshida has grandchildren, so it was fun playing with them. Like the other kids I met, they all think I`m super cool. Nice to be foreign sometimes.

I`ve been hanging out with family in all my free time. Non-free time has been spent packing and cleaning. I`m pretty much done. Then I`m off to spend my last day with the family again.

You know, maybe it`s just as well that Japan is far away. I was just thinking of all the things I want to do and people I like to spend time with back home that I never do or see because they`re close by, or at least closer than Japan, and I always figure there`s time. I think I need to quit taking time for granted. It does run out eventually, sometimes shockingly sooner than you figured.

Umm, I don`t have many interesting quips from Japan today. I`m feeling pretty reflective and kind of tired. But I`m gonna try to make my last day a good one.

3 comments:

Joyska said...

where are you once you are back in winnipeg? I'm in town til the 23rd and would LOVE to see you... I am staying at Yvonne and Jason's... they've moved, but their number is the same... call me if you see this!

Anonymous said...

welcome home! (soon)

Anonymous said...

Hope you're having a good time there!
I understand your problem about Japan beeing so far away ... I've got the same problem with Winnipeg .... miss everybody there!
Sabine