Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I'm Back

I'm not in Kans...er, Japan, anymore. I'm back home. Landed at my old apartment for a couple of nights (thanks Cheryl), and now I'm with the friends I had planned to stay with. So many things are relative. I'm laughing at myself this week because before I left when I was talking to these friends about moving in, I thought the basement I am staying in looked so small. Now I'm there and it feels just fine after the place I stayed in in Japan. Quite roomy and comfortable. I have my own bathroom, and even my own TV so I can watch my DVDs when I feel like it. So my perspective has been altered. It's good to go through a little perspective altering once in a while. All my worldly possessions except what's in my suitcase (and my electronics, DVDS, and CDs) are in storage. For the last 3 months I have lived out of my suitcase, which has been a lesson in how much stuff I really need to live. Even now, at least 50% of my suitcase room is taken up with gifts and stuff I don't need (like the pottery I bought in Japan, or the shoes I bought because I thought I'd need them but which to date I've never worn once. I've got 2 pairs like that, actually). After reading the latest issue of Geez magazine I was thinking a lot about living simply. I've certainly seen how simply I can live. Most of the stuff I hold on to that I don't "need" is either of sentimental value, or it is for serving people on occasions when I choose to show some hospitality. So maybe I should just cut friends out of my life, or never invite them over. I'd save a load of cash on stuff I wouldn't need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gee, that's a REAT idea, cheryl. *sniff*