Monday, November 28, 2005

I am listening to the radio and just heard a song I'd never heard before. It talks about every moment being a moment for praise, just because "I'm alive", as the singer sings. (it's Steven Curtis Chapman, by the way) That just really spoke to me. Life in itself is a gift. I've thought about that at times. It usually comes up when I'm pondering the purpose of my life and how to best live it. I want to live my life following Christ, and accept that that means sacrifice and putting others first (I've got the theory down, if not yet the practice). But when God created humans, they didn't have the mandate of Christ, for their relationship with God hadn't been disrupted. So just hanging out with God and existing was enough, and having dominion over all the Earth, whatever that meant. (Think about it. In a perfect world, there would be no conflict, so what would one have dominion over? Why have a dominant species when everyone's getting along anyway? I'm sure there's an answer to that. Any ideas?) But, I digress. Or maybe I don't digress. Maybe I just rabbit trail. What exactly does "digress" mean? I'll get my dictionary out later.

Ok. So what I'd like to say is that life is good just because. Just because. And though there are many days when that is easy to forget, the song on the radio reminded me of all the days I'm happy just to be able to witness a beautiful day and take it in.

I just re-read my blog and am getting blown away by my own thoughts. I don't mean that nearly as arrogantly as it sounds. It's just I never thought about "having dominion" in a perfect world before. What does that tell us about government and governing? So much of the politics of the human race is about avoiding or managing conflicts and problems. In a perfect world would we be completely free of problems, or would we just have all the perfect solutions? How would governments have developed through the millenia if no one had ever allowed sin to be introduced to this Earth? What would they do? Maybe instead of the department of defense we'd have the department of encouragement and random acts of kindness. Dept.of E.R.A.O.K I'd enjoy heading that up!!

No comments: